Kaashi's Story, Chapter 2

The next morning, Kaashi came out of his house looking like he hadn't slept at all last night. He couldn't sleep because the opinion of that pink yoshi hit him hard and couldn't stop contemplating whether to do so or not. He weighed out the pros and the cons, thought of how he'd get in, and how the other students would treat him if he did get in. He was skeptical of the idea of a yoshi attending a human school. It just doesn't make any sense, but that was the best education he could ever get from scavenging shipwrecks. When the other yoshis saw him, they asked what was wrong considering that he never stood up all night before. Kaashi just responded with "I couldn't think of another topic for the next seminar, but I'll think of one eventually."

Kaashi quickly realized that he couldn't lie to the whole village, but didn't want to lead all of them into a false story. 'I have to get this off my chest,' Kaashi thought 'my lie can't hang around forever. I need to talk to the village leader about this.' But he was hesitant, nervous of what the leader might say. After some careful thought, he decided that it was the best course of action.

Kaashi approached the village leader's hut, which was the most decorated of them all. He had second thoughts, but he continued with his plan. Kaashi poked his head inside to see if he was there.

"Chieftain? Are you there? I need to ask you something." Kaashi said hesitantly.

"Ah, the wise yoshi learns from the fool, what is it?" the great blue yoshi replied.

"Yesterday after my galaxy seminar, a yoshi said that I should consider schooling at the mainland, but I'm unsure of how to do so, let alone if they will accept me. Should I even try to do it?"

"Kaashi, there are many opportunities in life that many miss, some never come back, this might be one of them, if you really wish to gain more knowledge, then it's your choice. Besides, it could give you new material for your seminars and thus making them better. But there are also dangers in this choice; just like the fuzzies, they may look pretty and fun, but can be dangerous if touched. This course of action might lead you into touching one that can have serious consequences. Nobody really knows what will lie ahead, but only you are able to shape your own future. Like I said before, it's your choice, I won't hold you back if you make your decision."

Kaashi was speechless; he thought too quickly to ignore some of the major consequences, only the tip of the iceberg. The chieftain gave him a sympathetic look.

"Maybe you need more time to decide and think it through. The flower only blooms when it's ready."

"I guess you're right, maybe I should keep thinking, but I stayed up all night about it, I couldn't stop; I have a really strong feeling that I should."

"Then that's a sign. I'll tell you what, you get all your supplies ready for your travel, I'll tell everyone at the meeting today, is that alright?"

"Absolutely, although I don't know what to take."

"Just think of yourself as a yoshi attending one of your seminars, what would you take?"

"All the yoshis I see don't take anything; I guess I should just get the boat ready and take my leave."

"Well then, calm seas, Kaashi, I hope you'll find what you seek."

Kaashi exited the chieftain's hut and went to the dock and prepared for the voyage. The chieftain sat down and thought about Kaashi's wish for a bit, but then a strong prophetic thought about him. He gasped and ran toward the dock, but by the time he got there, Kaashi was already in the boat and out of earshot. There was nothing he could do.

"No..." the chieftain said weakly as he sat down and watched with futility as Kaashi disappeared into the horizon.



Back to Kaashi's Fanfics
Back to fan fiction index
Back to index