Kaashi's Story, Chapter 5

"Kaashi, wake up!" Mark said, "I talked to my principal, she wants to see you as soon as possible!"

Kaashi woke up shivering a bit and groggily got up. "Who wants a what now?"

"My principal, I told her all about you. She seemed interested. Your wish just might come true today."

"Whatever happened to 'try not to attract too much attention'?"

"I said too much, some can be fine. I mean, I told my mom about you, but she said I was crazy. It's like people need to see them to think they're real."

"Wait, we'll be walking there won't we? What should I say if people see me and ask about me?"

"I'll just tell them you're attending a convention, people dress up all the time at those things, it should work."

"Whatever you say; lead on."

Mark looked out of the cave too see if it was clear. He signaled Kaashi to follow. They left the cave and started walking into the urban jungle. A lot of people asked about Kaashi, and Mark's plan worked, they believed every word. Good thing for Kaashi.

"So, this is how humans make cities? Very large and stuff like that?"

"It's how we've done it for decades, Kaashi."

"Hm, the best we have on the island is a few scattered huts, not really sophisticated like this. Ooh! That looks like a school!" Kaashi said pointing to an elementary school.

"Yes it is a school, but wrong type of school. That's the lowest level, we need the near highest level; high school is practically level three out of four."

"Ah, I see. What's it like in high school? Is it like my seminars?"

"You do seminars?"

"Yes, I've seen doing those for years ever since I was introduced to the wonders of science. Everyone loves them. Even the chieftain does. Speaking of which, I wonder how everyone on the island is taking my departure?"

Back on the island, the yoshis were frantically working on the boat as if the island was about to be destroyed. In a matter of hours, the boat was nearly finished, they just needed sails. Yoshis were quickly making sails out of palm fronds.

"Kaashi," the chieftain said looking at the horizon, "please be alright when we find you. I can't bear it if you're hurt when you're recovered."

"Chieftain!" the pink yoshi said, "The sails are finished! We can start a voyage to get him!"

"Good, have everyone come to the meeting area, we'll discuss who will go get him."

All the yoshis congregated at the meeting area within minutes. Wondering what the chieftain wants. The chieftain approached the podium.

"The boat is finished!" The chieftain said. All the yoshis cheered loudly. "Now, we all need to determine who will go retrieve Kaashi. I will give you time to decide amongst yourselves."

The yoshis started talking to each other. There was so much talking it sounded like a riot. About ten minutes later, a yoshi approached the chieftain.

"Chieftain, we've decided."

"Good. Will the designated yoshi please step forward?" the chieftain said to the crowd.

Kiki, the red yoshi from the seminar, nervously stepped forward.

"Ah, Kiki. I actually thought about you being the chosen one, considering your relationship."

"Relationship? We're just friends." She retorted.

"Come closer, Kiki"

She walked to the chieftain. The chieftain whispered something to her. She gasped.

"Don't tell anyone except Kaashi. Only he's ready for such news. Now go, Kaashi's life depends on it! Farewell Kiki!" the chieftain said as the yoshis cheered her on.

Kiki pushed the boat into the ocean and got in. The yoshis cheered when she got in and started sailing. The chieftain gasped when he saw Kiki panicking.

"No! No! No! No!!" Kiki shouted. She was barely audible. Kiki smacked the water's surface as the boat sank as well as the yoshis' spirits. Kiki started swimming back to the island crying.

"What happened, Kiki?" a yoshi asked her

"There was a big leak, termites maybe, or sabotage; either way, all that hard work, and precious time, is gone now."

"Well, let's not just sit around." the chieftain said loudly, "We can make another boat! This is just shell of the coconut! We can open it! We just need to believe!"

The yoshis cheered at the chieftain's speech and started working again.

On the mainland, Mark and Kaashi find the high school.

"Wow, big school, no wonder why its level three." Kaashi said.

Mark laughed, "Just imagine college, my yoshi friend. Come on, everyone's in their classes, you won't attract too much attention."

Kaashi followed Mark as he entered the building. Kaashi was amazed to see the inside, adorned with the school mascot and slogan. Looking into the commons, Kaashi was hypnotized. He never imagined school to be like this.

"Come on Kaashi. The principal's office is just this way."

Kaashi followed Mark into the commons and took a left into a door labeled "Main Office". Mark and Kaashi entered, the secretary looked at them, raising an eyebrow at Kaashi. The secretary waved them into the principal's office, still staring at Kaashi. They entered the principal's office and sat down. She noticed them immediately.

"Mark," she said, "is this Kaashi?"

"Yes it is, he came a long way just to attend this school, he told me he almost died trying, talk about commitment."

"Mark, would you please excuse us, me and Kaashi need to talk in private."

"Yes, Ma'am." He said as he exited the office.

"Kaashi, I don't know how to tell you this, but point-blank, I can't accept you into the school."

Kaashi gave a dismayed sigh.

"Look, I know you came a long way just to go here, but this is a human school, no yoshi-wait scratch that, only one yoshi ever came here, but she left and never came back. We have a picture of her dating to a time before she left." She opened her desk and took out a picture of a red yoshi.

"That kind of looks like Kiki." Kaashi said, "But how did she get in?"

"We gave her an IQ test, her score was amazing, and we had no choice but to let her in. She was an amazing student, but a few weeks later, she left and never came back. No one knows what happened to her, but her legacy lives on."

"You can give me the IQ test. I'm very smart, as the chieftain says."

"I guess we can give you a shot, but I can't make any promises that you'll be admitted."

"Thank you, I thought I wasn't getting in."

"Don't get your hopes up, you might not. I'm going to contact the testing area and tell them you have an appointment. Good luck, Kaashi."

Kaashi got up and exited the office. Mark stood up when he came out.

"So, how was it? Did she let you in?"

"I'm not sure, she said I'm supposed to take an IQ test at the testing center, she made an appointment."

"OK then, let's go, time's a-wasting."

Mark led Kaashi further down the hall to a large windowed room.

"Here it is, and look! Your test is already there, that was fast. Go on in, Kaashi."

Kaashi opened the door and looked at the paper labeled "IQ Test". 'This is it.' he said to himself. Kaashi sat down and picked up the pencil provided and started the test. About an hour and a half later, he finished. Kaashi grabbed the paper and exited the room. Mark and Kaashi went back to the principal's office and gave her that paper.

"Thank you." she said, "I'll have the results soon, and I’ll call your name down when I do so. In the meantime, look around the school, get used to it, you might see things today that you'll see every day if you pass."

Mark and Kaashi left the office and walked around the large institution. Some things Kaashi saw that he couldn't contain himself and yelled with excitement at places like the science labs and astronomy class. Later on in the day, Kaashi heard his name from the loudspeaker; he was nervous as he walked toward the office and saw the principal sitting there.

"The results are in."



Back to Kaashi's Fanfics
Back to fan fiction index
Back to index