Kaashi's Story, Chapter 8

Kaashi got over the incident yesterday. He was fine the next day; it was the science classes that got it off his mind. Especially astronomy, where he stumped the teacher; he felt good about that. But it was at lunch where Kaashi's fear returned. He tried to sit as far away from Miguel as possible. Miguel confronted Kaashi again after lunch.

"Why are you still here? I told you to beat it!"

"I came here to learn, not to be popular! I don't care about that!"

"Uh huh, sure you do."

"No! Really! If you watch me at any time at school, you'll see me paying attention to the lesson, not socializing with others! Please, just don't do this again!"

"And who are you to give me orders?" Miguel delivered a swift punch to Kaashi's abdomen. Kaashi groaned as he fell to the ground, his hands on his stomach. "That was only a warning, if I see you here again, something will happen." Miguel walked off, leaving Kaashi on the ground in pain. A passing student noticed him.

"Hey, are you all right?"

Kaashi just groaned and looked up at him.

"Here, let me help you up." The student helped Kaashi get on his feet.

"Ugh, I think I'm going to throw up." Kaashi groaned.

"We need to get you the nurse. He can help you."

"No, I'll be fine; I can just walk it off."

"OK then, bye."

Kaashi left the school. He didn't want another painful conflict with Miguel. He headed toward his cave.

Night descended on the island, another boat was completed. Kiki got into the boat, it was late, but she got into the boat as the yoshis lowered it from their makeshift dry-dock, preventing a leak, which was caused by rocks the last time.

"Farewell, Kiki. Calm seas." the chieftain said as the boat lowered into the ocean and set sail. The chieftain was getting more concerned about Kaashi every day, hoping he survived the day. The chieftain walked back to his hut. "Now two yoshis' lives are at stake. I'm feeling sick." The chieftain's stress was obviously getting to him. He couldn't concentrate anymore.

Kiki was sailing the calm seas, thinking about Kaashi and the news to deliver him. "I sure hope he's safe. I can't take it if something bad happened to him." The winds died, the boat was now immobile. "No! No!" Kiki yelled as she paddled with her hands in vain. "More time wasted. More time for something to happen to him." She started crying.

Morning came to the mainland. Kaashi awoke and slowly headed to the school. Mark approached him.

"Hey Kaashi. I didn't see you in algebra yesterday. What happened?"

"It was Miguel again. But this time he punched my stomach. I still feel a bit sick."

"OK, now I'm totally on your side. I'll talk to Miguel today, don't sweat it. In fact, you know what? Take this." Mark took off a black bracelet and gave it to Kaashi. "I think you deserve it more that I do."

"Thanks Mark, I'll never forget this." Kaashi quickly put on the bracelet.

Mark and Kaashi arrived at the school. Kaashi got nervous. He didn't want to run into Miguel again. But surprisingly, Kaashi and Mark never saw him. Kaashi was relieved.

"I thought the worst. But apparently Miguel's gone. I'm safe for now."

"For now? I'll always be here for you. That's what friends are for!"

"Thanks Mark."

The school day passed. And even on the way to the cave, Kaashi saw no sign of Miguel. Kaashi went into the cave for the day, but right as he entered, he felt a hard impact on his head. He moaned and lost consciousness as he fell to the grounds.



Back to Kaashi's Fanfics
Back to fan fiction index
Back to index