Kaashi's Story, Chapter 10

Mark and Kiki stayed up all night looking after Kaashi, hoping that he will at least wake up. Mark's curfew was long past, but he didn't care, the only thing on his mind was Kaashi.

"I can't believe it. Why would Miguel shoot Kaashi? He didn't do anything wrong. He has a good spirit; I hope Miguel didn't crush it."

"If he lives to have one..." Kiki said bursting into tears.

Mark stared at Kaashi's bracelet, of how he gave his own belongings to him. Just in case Kaashi died, he left it on him anyway. He didn't want to disturb him.

"I have to go, Mark." Kiki said softly, "I should at least take Kaashi to his home where he may be at peace." She gave Mark a hug. "Thank you for looking out for him."

"No problem Kiki. At least he was happy when I was around. This will be the last time I see him, but I wish him well. Goodbye, Kiki."

Kiki picked up Kaashi and carried him toward the boat. She laid him down. She took a long remorseful look at Kaashi. After her small vigil, she pushed the boat out to sea. Mark looked at the boat as it slowly disappeared from view. He shed a tear and said to himself, 'I will never forget you, Kaashi.'

Kiki constantly checked on Kaashi to see if he woke up, every time she did, there was no change. She sailed home crying the whole way. "Kaashi, please. Be alright. Please." She kept saying on the way.

Three hours later she ignited her lantern, signaling to the village that she same back. A yoshi saw the faint glow from her house.

"Everyone! Come quick! Kiki has returned!" She shouted at the top of her lungs. All the yoshis exited their houses and gathered to see the lantern. The chieftain came out last. He was shocked when he saw the lantern. "They came back." he said, "They finally came back!" The chieftain made his way to the front of the crowd and watched as the boat got closer. The chieftain was the first to realize something was wrong, he was the first to see Kiki's face in dismay. The feeling then spread through the chieftain and into the crowd like a wildfire. The chieftain rushed to the boat to see what was wrong. He found Kaashi lying at the stern, not moving.

"NO!!!" the chieftain bellowed as he ran to pick up Kaashi. "Did you tell him the news, Kiki?"

"He wasn't moving when I found him. I was too late. Kaashi's gone." she lamented.

The anguish spread to the throng. They all lowered their heads for the loss of their most famous yoshi. The chieftain carried Kaashi slowly to the circle of rocks and laid him down. He got on his knees and put his head to Kaashi's chest.

"His heart beats! But he's still in critical condition! We must all watch him day and night to see if anything happens. I will be the first to watch. I will ask another yoshi to do it after me, you are all excused." he said with teary eyes.

All the yoshis solemnly walked back to their houses, but Kiki stayed next to the chieftain, stroking her brother's face, she said "Please be alright." She then got up and slowly joined the other yoshis, looking back at Kaashi and the chieftain. The chieftain never looked away from Kaashi, his gaze was fixed.

Early the next morning, Kiki came out of her house to look at Kaashi. The chieftain was still there, he hadn't moved since. She can't believe that his vigil would last all night. She approached him quietly.

"Is there something you want, Kiki?" the chieftain said serenely with a dehydrated sound in his voice.

"I want to look after Kaashi. You can't watch him forever. I'll take over."

"No! I must watch after him, I let him go, I should suffer for it as well."

"Please chieftain, don't do that. Hurting yourself won't help him."

"You're right. I need water, you watch him; don't ever look away, whatever you do!"

"I won't."

The chieftain got up and walked away, leaving Kiki and her brother alone.

"How could someone do this to you?" she said, "You didn't do anything wrong, why would you get punished for nothing?" she laid her head on Kaashi, still watching him. Other yoshis were looking at them from a distance, describing what they saw as 'Love Everlasting.'

After a few hours, Kiki heard a very weak groan. She perked up and stared at Kaashi.

"Chieftain!! Chieftain come quick!!" She yelled.

The chieftain arrived quickly. "What happened?"

"He groaned, this could mean something!"

Kaashi groaned again. Kiki and the chieftain's eyes brightened at the sound.

"He's going to make it!" the chieftain said with tears.

Yoshis started to gather at the sound of Kaashi's groans, staring at him with eyes widened. After many hours, Kaashi finally opened his eyes. His first sight was Kiki and the chieftain smiling with tears running down their cheeks.

"Kaashi!" Kiki said softly and embraced him. Kaashi winced in pain and yelped. "You're awake!" the chieftain said, "We thought you never would. But here you are. Welcome home, Kaashi!" The yoshis cheered and gathered closer to Kaashi. Kaashi looked at his bracelet and then at the sky. Although they were separated forever, Kaashi would never forget Mark.



Back to Kaashi's Fanfics
Back to fan fiction index
Back to index